The Gentle Sleep Book offers gentle, reassuring and effective solutions to addressing the common sleep problems of newborns to five-year-olds.
Sarah Ockwell-Smith's methods don't involve common sleep-training techniques such as controlled crying and pick up/put down, instead she treads a carefully balanced line between the needs of sleep-deprived parents and those of the child.
The Gentle Sleep Book offers reliable, evidence-based advice on how to approach common issues including frequent waking, night terrors and night dryness, as well as practical suggestions tailored to each developmental stage, such as how to create the perfect sleep environment and bedtime routine, the effect of diet and how to use comfort objects effectively. All the information is supported by in-depth case studied to demonstrate how parents have used the suggestions to address their child's sleep problems.
This invaluable resource will help you:
- sleep better tonight in under ten minutes with the Quick Start guide
- and sleep safer every night with the Safe Sleep Seven
- sort out the fact and fiction of bedsharing and SIDS
- learn about normal sleep at every age and stage, from newborn to new parent
- direct your baby toward longer sleep when he's ready
- tailor your approach to your baby's temperament
- uncover the hidden costs of sleep training and "controlled crying" techniques
- navigate naps at home and during daycare
- handle criticism from family, friends, and health professionals
- enjoy stories and tips from mothers like you
- make the soundest sleep decisions for your family and your life